WHO(MST) IS KIERYN DARKWATER AND WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?
You might have read I Was Trained for the Culture Wars in Home School Awaiting Mike Pence as Messiah on Autostraddle once (or even the follow up pieces), or maybe you know Kieryn from their work with the Coalition for Responsible Home Education, East Bay for Everyone, Mayoring YIMBYtown2017, cohosting the Kitchen Table Cult Podcast, running the Laney Queers, tenant unionizing, serving as an Assembly District Delegate to the CA Democratic Party, or practicing mutual aid in their neighborhood.
Maybe it’s none of those things and you wound up here on the way to the Delta Quadrant but found yourself asking who is Kieryn? and where did they come from?
Kieryn was homeschooled in the 90’s-00’s and grew up in a cult and cult-like environments. The reality of being the eldest daughter in a large conservative quiverfull family meant there wasn’t much (if any) time for having in-person friends. So they started blogging in 2005, and met other homeschoolers with similar backgrounds. When they escaped in 2009 they continued writing and documenting their evolution first of adapting to married life, then coming out as bi, leaving christianity, and abandoning the gender binary.
Between 2017 and 2019 Kieryn became a student organizer and senator at Laney College where they grappled with the impact of educational neglect, learning disabilities, and navigating school (with a structure) while trans. They studied Industrial Maintenance Machining and Labor & Community Organizing.
Now, Kieryn can be found co-hosting the Kitchen Table Cult Podcast with Eve Ettinger, working to legalize multi-family homes in the Bay Area, organizing their apartment neighbors into a union, advocating for protections for homeschooled kids, serving as an Assembly District Delegate to the CA Democratic Party, or occasionally updating this blog.
Listen to the latest Kitchen Table Cult Episode
S4E8: The Invisible History of Homeschooling (Research Project) with Dr. Lindsey Maxwell – Kitchen Table Cult Pod
Read the Latest Posts:
- How Many Times Can I Make A Post With “Feels” in the Title and Get Away With It?First things first – the biggest news of the year isn’t that I got top surgery. It’s not that my […]
- Post Op Photo & Feels DumpI’ve been posting pics of the healing process on instagram and pixelfed. The process has been up and down, but […]
- The Scars I ChooseI’ve been quiet here but this year has been a ride. At the beginning of the year I got referred […]
- Introducing Farid and AprilToday in therapy I discovered a whole entire trauma bucket that I realized I had successfully blocked from my memory […]
AD18 Delegate Dispatches
- I’m posting the PDF of the 2021 ADEM Election results here because the CDP inexplicably removed them from the website. […]
- The ballots for the Sept 14 recall election are in the mail and voting is underway. The Democrat party line […]
- When Janani emailed me for a chat earlier this year I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after talking a […]
- Today is the first day of the annual CA Democratic Party Convention, hosted online for the first time ever. Prior […]
- The election for CDP Officers has started already. My partner and I are both voting members so our mailbox is […]