In 2017 the state of California legally recognized nonbinary gender, on Jan 1 2019 the implementation of that law, to add nonbinary gender (designated X) on Driver’s Licenses and State IDs went into effect. So naturally, I went to the DMV the next day when they were open and changed that shit immediately.
Changing my gender marker was infinitely easier than changing my name when I moved out here. This is the process:
- Fill Out the Driver’s License/ State ID Application Online
- Gather your vital records: Proof of Citizenship (passport/ birth cert), Proof of Residency (mail/bank statements), and Proof of Identity (ssn).
- If your legal name doesn’t match on some of those you might need name change documents as well
- Go to the DMV
- Fill out the Gender Category Request Form which consists of: your name, address, and gender marker choice
- Get a new photo taken
- Wait 2 weeks for your ID to come in the mail