Last night (even though some pulled muscles impeded my ability to go to class) I finished my first oil painting. I’ll post more pictures next week when it’s all dry (or at least, way more dry than it is right now). But here is the current finished product:
I’m really proud of how the lighting turned out – the stars need a little work but I think they fit well and add a little bit of a whimsical feel. By the next painting though, I’m hoping to acquire some glitter and toothpicks so the stars look a little nicer. I tried to get the same effect using sparkly nail polish, it’s a little too early to tell how well that worked.
I also made my own palette (as seen on the right…with all the paint on it) using a piece of cardboard covered in wax paper (liberally taping it together) to make putting foil on and taking it off easier and hopefully will help keep the cardboard protected. I opted for this over just using foil because the oil paints are already harder to mix and I needed something thick that I could hold and put pressure on while mixing.