I spent most of the day making some watercolor illustrations and two hours later I made it to art class (yay!). I finished (for the most part) my Battlestar Galactica oil piece, complete with missing corners (well as close as I could get), multicolored space, and earth – “Starbuck’s Destiny?”
Last night (even though some pulled muscles impeded my ability to go to class) I finished my first oil painting. I’ll post more pictures next week when it’s all dry (or at least, way more dry than it is right now). But here is the current finished product:
I’m really proud of how the lighting turned out – the stars need a little work but I think they fit well and add a little bit of a whimsical feel. By the next painting though, I’m hoping to acquire some glitter and toothpicks so the stars look a little nicer. I tried to get the same effect using sparkly nail polish, it’s a little too early to tell how well that worked.
I also made my own palette (as seen on the right…with all the paint on it) using a piece of cardboard covered in wax paper (liberally taping it together) to make putting foil on and taking it off easier and hopefully will help keep the cardboard protected. I opted for this over just using foil because the oil paints are already harder to mix and I needed something thick that I could hold and put pressure on while mixing.
My husband and I have been working through Battlestar Galactica, we’re currently on Season 4 and we love it. Last week we realized that instead of working on one oil painting in art class, we’ll probably end up working on two, so I was trying to figure out what to use my second canvass on, and it hit me. We’ve been wanting to do something BSG related in the office, so I came up with this.
I call it, Starbuck’s Destiny.
It’s great because it keeps with my night/dark scene concepts that I’ve been wanting to work on (apparently, people rarely do that, go figure) and is also something derived from something current…and honestly, I’m really proud of my adaptation of the Cylon Raider.