back cover

This week I made an announcement about the book I’ve been illustrating (and writing), so I’ve been trying to get the final copy formatted. After uploading the initial cover I realized I need a back cover to go with the front cover. I decided it’d be better to paint it to keep the style together, but I also wanted to use an elevated surface after watching a tutorial from Empty Easel.
Since I don’t have an easel yet (hint) I taped a square piece of cardboard and a longish rectangle piece of cardboard together, folded the ends for stability, covered the painting part with wax paper (for easy paper removal) and taped it to my desk.

It’s amazing how much easier it is to paint (with watercolors at least) that way.
It didn’t take long for me to come up with a lovely cover for the back of the book. One step closer now. 🙂

Oil Painting: night scene part 2

Last night (even though some pulled muscles impeded my ability to go to class) I finished my first oil painting. I’ll post more pictures next week when it’s all dry (or at least, way more dry than it is right now). But here is the current finished product:

Stargazing

I’m really proud of how the lighting turned out – the stars need a little work but I think they fit well and add a little bit of a whimsical feel. By the next painting though, I’m hoping to acquire some glitter and toothpicks so the stars look a little nicer. I tried to get the same effect using sparkly nail polish, it’s a little too early to tell how well that worked.

I also made my own palette (as seen on the right…with all the paint on it)  using a piece of cardboard covered in wax paper (liberally taping it together) to make putting foil on and taking it off easier and hopefully will help keep the cardboard protected. I opted for this over just using foil because the oil paints are already harder to mix and I needed something thick that I could hold and put pressure on while mixing.

More Cardboard Furniture

After moving the night-stand that we had by our couch into the bedroom to lift the tv a few weeks ago, I decided to make another little stand out of my arsenal of cardboard boxes so I could put my pretty lamp on it.
I used a long rectangular box (the shipping box from a starbucks tea sampler and organizer ) and a thin open square box (the kind that department stores put clothes in at christmas when you have them gift wrap it). I wrapped the rectangle one in our pretty brown wrapping paper and left the top box as it was. Some squares of packing tape and an uneven mount later, I ended up with this.