Guess I’ll just start off with a list of Things I’ve Done this year and then talk about how I feel about them/the world in general, because holy fuck 2016.
- This time last year I’d just enrolled at North Seattle and was starting ABE where I learned I’m actually good at math and I learn quickly, I thrive in school, I am Hermoine, and I aced writing while I did it.
- uh, i got divorced and moved to California. Sometimes I feel like it’s somehow less valid because we’re still friends and still care about eachother deeply, it was just time for me to go and explore the things I needed to, to find myself.
- I went to Burning Man and found myself. That was when I realized the truth about my trans-ness that I’d been fighting for so long didn’t need to be hidden anymore. That it was worth acknowledging that and doing with that….whatever I needed to.
- I got swindled out of a home & I’m still fighting to get the deposit back, and also started and quit a job in a month because burn out.
- I kinda help East Bay Forward run a little bit now.
- I started Therapy, and that was a really fucking great decision. I feel like I’m finally starting to heal some of the bits I was too afraid to touch before.
- I started HRT. Asian Pacific Wellness Center in San Francisco if you’re trans, poor, and uninsured. Also if you’re trans and fine and insured. They’re wonderful. I got a blood test (to check for HEP A&B immunity) and started T in the same week (!informed consent!). They have a sliding scale and I literally paid nothing for my shots. <3 <3
- I traveled out of the Country for the first time. I’m on Holiday in Mex. resting a bit before wandering out to watch the fireworks. It’s beautiful here, and also everyone thinks I’m a local and then I disappoint them by not knowing Spanish very well.
- I met some amazing people and love so many people and grew my chosen family by a lot.
Things I learned, or proved to myself, or things:
- I am really fucking strong. On a lot of levels. Impressively, I’m actually strong physically which I learned at Burning Man when I was carrying metal around like it was nothing and single handedly holding up parts of a geodeisic dome. But also, I’m just actually a strong human. I’ve been through so fucking much, and the last year has had me scared shitless because I faced so many things for the first time: being on my own, being almost homeless, not having any other income to rely on than my own, getting on MediCal, starting a small claims case, figuring out T….
- Transitioning is a good idea. I’ve never felt this much myself before. I have a body that is a barrier between me and the outside world and I have starting and endpoints, my body is….less of a prison now and more…mine? other things include feeling emotions infinitely more intensely but being able to handle them and push through things. I have so much more ability now, I feel like I’m the version of myself I really needed this year. The version of me that is wholly myself and seen.
- I’ve been through a lot of legitimately hard shit and it’s okay to feel that.
- I am valid as I am, and no one can take that from me
- I am actually fast at learning
- I can actually do anything and do it well – or at least well enough to get by
- I’m really bad at asking for help, and I’m not that much better at taking care of myself
- my needs are important too
Things I want/to do/etc in 2017
- To be financially stable – because my credit score is sad and debt is not cool, but at least soon all of my health things will be covered including therapy, so that will make it easier
- To get back into school, take more math and writing and science – I qualify for in-state tuition on June 8, assuming we still exist then.
- Get some (paid) articles published
- Take charge on a lot more things
- Make art regularly
- Fight Fascism where I find it (lately every time hate speech occurs at my bart stop I’ve been cleaning it up. I’d like to do more)
- Get into photography/filmmaking again and scultping
- Go to Burning Man
- Go to 34C3
- Do more professional writing
- Actually make those projects I keep meaning to
- Bike more and get less scared of rodes
- mebbe abs
Things I really want but probably won’t happen:
- A smol floofy doge.
- loving, healthy, autonomous relationships
- taking care of myself
- chocolate therapy ice cream with sprinkles after therapy
- my own bed and stuffed animals
- the terrifying freedom of being on your own
- trusting my instincts